A common problem area for many women is the accumulation of fat around the gluteals and thighs, which causes cellulite in the buttock and thigh areas. Even ladies who are fairly lean everywhere else on their body can still find this a source of frustration.
What causes this stubborn fat is the female hormone called estrogen. Both men and women produce estrogen, however, their bodies react to it differently when it is produced. There is a lot of evidence to show that, in women, fat cells in the lower body are extremely receptive to storing estrogen, hence why the buttocks and thighs become a common problem area for stubborn fat.
The liver detoxifies and excretes excess estrogen in order to eliminate it from the body. It does this by sending it to fat stores via the bloodstream that, as previously mentioned, are most receptive for females in the lower body.
The astonishing increase of man made estrogens over the past 30+ years has had an even greater effect on our bodies as they can mimic estrogen inside your body from the outside. These man-made estrogens can be in objects such as plastic bottles, Teflon coating and meat injected with hormones, which is found in most supermarket meats.
Fighting to break down the body’s excess natural estrogen along with the increase in man-made estrogen means that the liver is working extremely hard and often can’t keep up. Furthermore, the liver produces Sex Hormone Binding Globulins (SHBG), which get rid of excess estrogen. However, due to the overload on the liver of natural estrogen and man-made estrogen, as well as all the other toxins it has to deal with, the liver also struggles produce SHBG and so the estrogen cannot be gotten rid of. Since the body will not allow for the toxins to stay in our bloodstream, it sends the excess estrogen via the bloodstream to be stored in the fat stores in the lower body.
- If you want to lose body fat you need to be in a calorie deficit so make sure the amount of energy you are consuming is slightly lower than what you are expending. Use food diaries/logs and kcal calculators to compare your balance. Try http://www.freeweightloss.com/caclulators/ to calculate your kcal needs then remove 10-15% for a steady fat loss target.
- Try removing the following foods from your diet: Wheat and gluten, sugar, dairy, processed food, artificial sweeteners and alcohol.
- Eat a lot of fresh fish, organic beef, chicken and turkey, vegetables and fruit.
- Eat vegetables high in Indole-3-carbinol, which detoxifies estrogen levels, for example, watercress, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. You can also buy this in supplement form if you prefer.
- Incorporate resistance training with exercises such as lunges, squats and pushups.
- Drink as much clean and filtered water as you can.
- Get moving! Nothing is going to change if you don’t try to change it.
Reference: The Fit Formula: The World’s Leading Experts Reveal Proven Strategies for Optimal health, Fitness and Nutrition